- Licenses are used to define what users can do with the provided data
- A license can be assigned to a package and all data in the package
- We use creative commons licenses
- Details can be found on creative commons website
- In general can be set to completely free (everyone can use or modify the data in any possible way), share alike (everyone can use and modify the data but has to release the data openly), non comercial (only non commercial use allowed), no derivation (data can be used but not changed), and combinations of this
- It is also possible to not choose any license, then a statement will be printed stating for license information, the package owner should be contacted
- Packages contain a license note stating that additional rights can be granted, for more information the package owner can be contacted
Creative commons license
Attribution-NoDerivs CC BY-ND
This license allows for redistribution, commercial and non-commercial, as long as it is passed along unchanged and in whole, with credit to you.
This license lets others distribute, remix, tweak, and build upon your work, even commercially, as long as they credit you for the original creation. This is the most accommodating of licenses offered. Recommended for maximum dissemination and use of licensed materials.
Prohibit commercial use
Attribution-NonCommercial CC BY-NC
This license lets others remix, tweak, and build upon your work non-commercially, and although their new works must also acknowledge you and be non-commercial, they don’t have to license their derivative works on the same terms.
Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike CC BY-NC-SA
This license lets others remix, tweak, and build upon your work non-commercially, as long as they credit you and license their new creations under the identical terms.
No creative commons license
If the user chooses this no license will be set and the package owner has to be contacted for the license information.