We provide the prediction system and the database under a Creative Commons license. Specifically, we offer the BBD and Soil package under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) license. You can identify which license is used near the end of the page of each object in the license block.
By clicking on the image on each page, you will be directed to the Creative Commons license page that gives details on what this license allows.
If data is published under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 you can use it non commercially, for example to carry out research at a University or public research institute. The only thing we ask for is to cite us when publishing the work:
We even allow to redistribute the data on its own or as part of another data set, however, if you do this, you have to publish it under the same license (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) and clearly mark the data as published under this license on every page that allows access to tha data.
Note that even if only a very small part of the data set is based on enviPath, your full data set needs to be published under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 and is not allowed to be used in a commercial context.
If you redistribute the data as part of a larger data set and wish to sell a license of this data set in a commercial context, you can contact us and we will be able to o er you a commercial license to the data.
If you want to use the data commercially, please contact us. We are able to sell commercial licenses of the data sets and prediction systems, and running enviPath in-house can be arranged if required.
- How can I publish data based on enviPath? - You can publish data based on enviPath, but you will have to release it under the same license we use (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0). This means that when data from enviPath or from the same data set is displayed or provided for download, the license needs to be clearly shown on the page, either in text or using the creative commons logos as we do, for example here.
- Which license is the data in enviPath published under? - Everyone can publish data on enviPath, so this depends on the choice of the data creator. Our core data (BBD and Soil) is published under Creative Commons Attribution- NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0). This allows you to use enviPath non-commercially, it even allows you to copy and redistribute the data. If you redistribute the data, you have to redistribute it under the same license and add the original source of the data (enviPath). If you want to publish a larger data set and part of it is our data, the whole data set (even data not from enviPath) has to be published under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0. If you prefer to use another license, you have to contact us, we might be able to o er you the data under a different license.
- I want to use enviPath in my research, can I do this? - Yes! As long as it is not commercial, we only ask you to cite enviPath: enviPath – The environmental contaminant biotransformation pathway resource. J Wicker, T Lorsbach, M Gütlein, E Schmid, D Latino, S Kramer, K Fenner. Nucleic Acids Research
- Can I use enviPath commercially? - Not when using the public interface. Our data is published under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0, which does not allow commercial use. However, you can contact us and we are able to sell you a commercial license. We can also provide you with the support to run a version of our server in-house.
- I want to publish a database which is partly based on enviPath data. What do I have to do? - Our core packages (BBD and Soil) are published under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0. this allows you to modify the work, redistribute, and use it otherwise as long as you don’t do this commercially. The main restriction is that you have to give credit to enviPath, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You have to publish the data again under the same license. If our data is part of a bigger data set, you have to publish the whole data set under CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0.
- I want to copy, modify, and publish the data, can I do that? - Depends on the license of the package. For the core packages (Soil and BBD), our license allows you to do that. But you have to publish your work under the same license (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0). However the licence does not allow this to be performed for commercial purposes.